Saturday, August 8, 2009

Mega-post


So its been awhile since I've updated so I guess I'll make it into a sort of double mega post. Right now I'm out of Taiwan and in Tokyo. Looking back Taiwan was an experience with both the ups and downs. I must say that without the roommates I had I probably wouldn't have survived Taiwan haha. They've got to be some of the most entertaining guys I know. A month was a bit long to stay in Taiwan but I did get to see alot more than I expected even though half of it was mountains and grass. It was an experience to see a completely different world outside of California and to see how other people lived. The differences between Asia and the U.S. are pretty stark, and in some ways, Asia has surpassed America.

If you've never been to Taiwan or seen outside of Taipei I would recommend this program. I can't say whether you'll have a good or bad experience but it will be an experience and that you will meet new people. A quick rundown of the program. Its a month-long program where the first two weeks you have class in the mornings and they bus you around Taipei to the different sites. Then for the next 10 days its bus trip around the island of Taiwan where you stop and see different sites. The program is Taiwanese Gov't sponsored where all you have to pay for is airfare and about $600 so its definitely worth the price. Couple people have asked me about the program so i'll give you the info here. Applications open up around Dec or Jan and are due at the end of Feb. you can go to their website here (www.ocac.gov.tw) and click on English and search for their application.

One last funny thing before I move onto Japan. We were walking along the river front (which is like Venice kinda) in Danshui and there's alot of old people fishing. After leaving a store we look over and we see this old dude peeing into the river and right next to him downstream is another old dude fishing haha. Straight out of Borat. But now onto Japan.

After being in Taipei Main Subway Station I didn't think it'd be possible for it to be even more crowded. Imagine Bruin Walk first day of class when all the lost freshmen and people going to class crowd that street, and now multiply it by 10 and you have Tokyo. Everything is mad hectic and the population density is ridiculous. The most amusing thing I've noticed is the overwhelming amount of bad English t-shirts and funny signs you see around town. Its got to be some of the funniest things I've seen (so I'm taking pictures of them haha). Everyone also walks twice as fast as a normal human being. No matter where you go people are rushing around running to their next train station.

I must say I feel completely out of my element in Japan. Even though Taiwan was different, I could generally speak the language and get around but here I have to completely rely on my friend Saki. I feel like I'm 12 years old. But I did make my first order in Japanese the other day, and that was to order a milkshake at McDonald's haha. I'm running out of batteries on my laptop but next post will be soon! Cuz Japan is pretty crazy and wayyyy different than America haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment