Monday, August 10, 2009

McAsia

One of the many things people notice in Asia is the “Americanization” of Asia, and the people’s obsession with American things. Almost every corner of the major cities in Taiwan and Japan there exists a McDonald’s or a 7-11. It is quite surprising to see how deep American culture has rooted itself into Asia but it’s comforting as well. I don’t think I would have survived Taiwan without those 7-11 or McDonald’s. I’ve definitely been to McDonald’s and 7-11 more times in Asia than I have in the past 5-6 years in America. Although these places originated in America , I must say I keep returning to these places because they’ve surpassed American branches in quality and service. The servers are definitely friendlier and get your food faster, and a plus, you can order a smile at McDonald’s in Japan for 0 yen. Looking at the food in an American 7-11 alone is dangerous, trying to eat one of their hot dogs might kill you. I also like being able to go to 7-11 with a low chance of getting shot or robbed, something that isn’t guaranteed at the American ones. The food at Asian 7-11’s not only taste good but are cheap, and are definitely a far cry from the American ones.

A unique aspect about American chain restaurants in Asia is that their menu is tailored for whatever locale they’re in, so much of the food can’t be found in America. Many of the portions in Asia are way smaller than their American counterparts, for example a small soda in Japan is about the size of a double shot. But I did find one American sized item in Taiwan; the double Big Mac and double spicy chicken sandwich. Pretty much two sandwiches stacked on top of each other in a glorious mound. One difference I also noticed was that all the fast food places in Taiwan (McDonald’s, KFC, etc) had delivery service for free, which we really took advantage of. What a great way to hasten you onto obesity. And another plus in Asia, no tips. Now, in America I don’t mind tipping my waiter/waitress if they’ve been on top of things, but tipping in America is now out of control at nearly 18-20%. What’s worse is that now it’s expected that you tip even though you get crap service. It’s definitely a sight to see to have people serving their customers happily and efficiently without receiving a tip.

Something that differs in Japan from both Taiwan and America is that you pay American prices for Taiwanese sized portions. Because the portions are smaller, there is more care put into the preparation of the food and better quality of ingredients. I admit this makes you eat more slowly and definitely savor every bite, but sometimes I just want my 5 lb steak and just go to town on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment